Meal Planning Tip: Gas BBQ Check List
March 26 2012
With the incredibly unseasonal high temperatures we’re experiencing in these parts, it got me thinking about setting up the gas BBQ. We’ve so many fabulous grill recipes at MealEasy that I can’t wait to make a few. So last night, I went about getting the grill ready. It’s not simply a case of rolling the BBQ out of the shed; there are certain procedures that need to be followed especially if you haven’t used the grill to make healthy meal plans in a few months.
Cueing up the Q:
- First thing you should do is take it apart and give it a good cleaning. Get rid of any ashes left behind and give the cooking surface a good scrub.
- While you have it apart, carefully inspect the parts for signs of rust. You may need to replace a part or two.
- After sitting over the winter, the Venturi tubes may contain dirt, spider webs, water or other debris. These tubes should be cleaned by using bent pipe cleaners, a very small bottle brush, or a special Venturi brush which can be purchased from your local barbecue dealer.
- Check for any loose nuts and bolts in the assembly as well.
- Check your tank for any damage or excessive rust.
- Next, reassemble the barbecue and check your gas line. The best way to do this is by covering any connections with soapy water to see if bubbles form when the propane tank is opened. If bubbles do appear, check to see if it’s simply a case of tightening some connections or whether it’s a case of a break or a leak. If it’s the latter, turn off your propane and bring it in to be looked at by a professional.
- Assuming you’ve got no leaks in the line and all is clean, it’s time to spark it up. I like to put it on full gas for at least 20 minutes to burn off any residual dirt I may have missed
This may seem like a lot of work, but doing this properly will set you up nicely for the summer months of grilling. I don’t know about you, but our healthy meal plans in the summer consist of lots of grilling. Find BBQ meal planning recipes of your own on the site!